Who we are
Fueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed ...
Who we are
Fueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed to democratizing financial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy. Our open digital payments platform gives PayPal's 375 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways, whether they are online, on a mobile device, in an app, or in person. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom, enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
When applying for a job you are required to create an account, if you have already created an account - click Sign In.
Creating an account will allow you to follow the progress of your applications. Our system does have some requirements that will help us process your application, below are some guidelines for creation of your account:
* Provide full legal First Name/Family Name - this is important for us to ensure our future hires have the right system set up.
* Please Capitalize first letter of your First and Last Name.
* Please avoid using fully capitalized text for your First and/or Last Name.
* NOTE: If your name is hyphenated or has multiple capitalization, please use the same format as your government ID.
Job Description Summary:
PayPal is looking for a highly talented, self-motivated, and analytical individual to work complex investigations as part of the Data Driven Investigations (DDI) team. The role will report to the head of DDI and be responsible for responding to a variety of investigative requests from senior leaders in Global Financial Crimes & Consumer Protection (GFC & CP). In addition, this individual will be responsible for generating proactive inquiries into high-risk datasets - aggregated through the lenses of country, product, and industry - to catch "smoldering embers" before they become fires.
This role requires the ability to respond quickly to complex requests with minimal guidance. The ideal candidate will have a keen ability to synthesize findings from data analysis, open source research, and input from an array of internal partners into compelling narratives, as well as the ability to present to diverse audiences.
This role requires a self-starter with the ability to think critically and strategically when handling matters, seeing beyond the initial facts presented and reviewing information thoroughly and in a highly organized manner to drive the matter to conclusion. This role requires the ability to operate independently, manage multiple competing priorities with difficult deadlines, and exhibit a sense of urgency when necessary.
Operating rhythms include providing support for ongoing monitoring projects, as well as proactive investigations looking to identify unknown risks. The DDI team is responsible for the development of a specialized tool used to analyze risk at PayPal holistically - this individual will be expected to become an elite user of the tool, to be a key stakeholder in its ongoing development, and to teach others how to use it.
While other members of the team have a broad mandate when it comes to investigations, this role is specifically focused on Cryptocurrency (or "Crypto") investigations.
The Crypto Risk Investigator will:
* Be responsible for analysis of trends within the use of Crypto on the PayPal platform to find potential methods of abuse and ensure our detections are working properly.
* Work closely with investigative teams in the Global Financial Crimes and Global Fraud organizations, especially those that work with law enforcement to refer leads.
* Be a subject matter expert (SME) in the broader Crypto ecosystem, with the ability to identify and contextualize abnormalities in the Crypto capabilities on the PayPal platform. Periodic reporting on findings, both written and oral, will be expected by GFC & CP leaders and other Crypto-focused colleagues in GFC&CP.
* Identify broader policy and product issues or controls failures and be prepared to work with stakeholders (especially those responsible for policy) to suggest possible solutions and enhancements to the controls framework.
* Conduct proactive investigations into Crypto products and industries with minimal guidance or direction. These investigations will often target the "unknown unknowns" in PayPal's data, and require the ability to remain flexible in one's approach and nimble enough to spot important outliers that might indicate new investigative pathways.
* Work to educate all members of the DDI team on important trends and developments in the broader Crypto ecosystem.
* As necessary, participate in initiatives and projects to identify patterns, trending, and typologies in support of senior leaders in GFC & CP.
* Use knowledge, experience, and sound judgment to conduct comprehensive, high quality end-to-end complex investigations to identify possible financial crime, fraud, and abuse patterns, trends, and typologies impacting PayPal and the global user community.
* Drive investigations to a timely conclusion following the completion of a comprehensive analysis of information across multiple platforms and jurisdictions
* Whenever possible, identify findings that may provide insight to business side colleagues, in support of PayPal's growth and expansion.
* Work closely with SMEs across GFC & CP and beyond to understand policy and regulatory requirements, product risks and controls, and expected flows of funds.
* Maintain accurate documentation of investigative findings.
* Have strong written and oral communication skills. Would be working with technical engineers, data scientists, investigators, policy experts, and leadership across all levels.
* Desire to work in a cross-functional environment to take PayPal to the next level.
* Have a background in investigations but a passion for understanding and using data.
* 5+ years of experience working in investigative domains; investigation management experience preferred.
* 3+ years of Crypto-specific investigative work (in a compliance role at a Crypto firm, or at a regulatory or law-enforcement agency).
* Bachelor's degree required; advanced degree preferred.
* Advanced data query and analysis skills (SQL, SAS, Teradata, Hadoop, etc.).
* Prior data analysis and data visualization experience a plus (e.g., Tableau, Palantir, I2).
* Experience in Scripting languages a plus (Shell / Perl / Python).
* Prior UX/UI or technical product development a plus.
* Excellent problem-solving, creative thinking, and listening skills.
* Proven ability to analyze large amounts of data and the ability to identify narratives suggested by analytical findings.
* Proficient at diagnosing existing problems, and able to see hidden problems. Shows ability to make connections among previously unrelated notions. Uses knowledge, creativity, and company practices and priorities to obtain solutions to complex problems.
* Quick learner who can easily adapt to new business knowledge and new technologies.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to communicate with stakeholders in diverse fields (technical and non-technical) and leaders at all levels.
* Must have a calm demeanor and ability the ability to manage multiple projects at once.
* Strong collaboration skills and ability to positively influence teams through innovation and partnership.
* Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills. Disciplined and hardworking.
* Understanding of how businesses operate (both internal and external) and results-oriented with the ability to identify areas that may be presenting risk to customers or the company.
* Able to establish effective partnerships with internal clients, dedicated to meeting their expectations and requirements.
* Ability to carry out end-to-end investigations and analysis projects.
New York, New York, United States of America
Austin, Chandler, San Jose, Scottsdale
We're a purpose-driven company whose beliefs are the foundation for how we conduct business every day. We hold ourselves to our One Team Behaviors which demand that we hold the highest ethical standards, to empower an open and diverse workplace, and strive to treat everyone who is touched by our business with dignity and respect. Our employees challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. We want to break down barriers to financial empowerment. Join us as we change the way the world defines financial freedom.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities..... click apply for full job details