Circle is a global financial technology firm that enables businesses of all sizes to harness the power of digital currency and public blockc...
Circle is a global financial technology firm that enables businesses of all sizes to harness the power of digital currency and public blockchains for payments, commerce and financial applications worldwide. Circle platforms and products provide a suite of internet-native financial services for payments, treasury infrastructure and capital formation. Circle is also a principal developer of USD Coin (USDC), which has become the fastest growing dollar digital currency in the world. USDC has grown to over 23 billion in circulation and supported over $640B in transactions in the past year. Circle's payments and treasury infrastructure services available through the Circle Account and APIs helps bridge the legacy financial system and digital currency and blockchain based finance. Circle's SeedInvest service brings internet-native fundraising and capital formation to startups and growth companies. Combined, Circle's suite of services helps companies to participate in a more open, global and inclusive financial system.
What you'll be part of:
With the mission "To raise global economic prosperity through the frictionless exchange of financial value," Circle was founded on the belief that the internet, blockchains and digital currency will rewire the global economic system, creating a fundamentally more open, inclusive, efficient and integrated world economy. We envision a global economy where people and businesses everywhere can more freely connect and transact with each other with new technologies for digital money and internet-native finance. We believe such a system can raise prosperity for people and companies everywhere. Our mission is powered by the values we espouse and which we expect all Circlers to respect. We are Multistakeholder, serving the needs of our customers, our shareholders, our employees and families, our local communities and our world. Furthermore, we are also Mindful, Driven by Excellence, and High Integrity.
What you'll be responsible for:
Under the direction of the Assistant General Counsel, Product and Regulatory, you will play an immediate and direct role as Senior Counsel leading coverage for the Circle Account and wide variety of digital asset products. You will partner with innovative product teams harnessing the power of crypto assets and blockchain technology to develop the new financial account for businesses and help plan and implement regulatory strategy against the evolving regulatory landscape for stablecoins and other digital assets.
What you'll work on:
* Provide full product life-cycle counseling for Circle Account and digital asset products and services including novel blockchain products and services relating to stablecoins, NFTs, and decentralized finance.
* Provide advice on compliance with US and international laws and regulations relating to digital assets and virtual asset service providers including matters relating to international expansion and licensing.
* Support the development and implementation by the Legal team of processes, procedures and metrics to increase the overall effectiveness of the legal services provided to the company.
* Address legal risk in business-centric ways, developing processes to solve problems, strengthening partnerships and advancing opportunities.
* Remain up-to-date on relevant crypto and digital currency developments to ensure an ongoing ability to provide robust product area coverage.
You will aspire to our four core values:
* Multistakeholder - you have dedication and commitment to our customers, shareholders, employees and families and local communities.
* Mindful - you seek to be respectful, an active listener and to pay attention to detail.
* Driven by Excellence - you are driven by our mission and our passion for customer success which means you relentlessly pursue excellence, that you do not tolerate mediocrity and you work intensely to achieve your goals.
* High Integrity - you seek open and honest communication, and you hold yourself to very high moral and ethical standards. You reject manipulation, dishonesty and intolerance.
What you'll bring to Circle:
* Juris Doctor degree and active law license in at least one state in good standing.
* 8+ years of experience as in-house counsel advising product teams and/or leading regulatory coverage preferably in fintech or institutional financial services.
* Passion for financial technology and proven experience covering cryptocurrency or blockchain matters.
* Familiarity with the AML/CFT regulatory environment for digital assets globally.
* Team player with a sense of humour, and enjoy learning but also mentoring.
* Experience working in a regulated environment or with governmental entities.
* Ability to learn quickly and support new areas of business and technology.
* Strong development of business partnerships, interpersonal skills, and work ethic.
* Proficiency in Google Suite, Slack and Apple MacOS preferred.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Circle. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.