Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City's diverse people and bus...
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City's diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City's five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
The Initiatives Department at NYCEDC seeks to understand the rapidly-changing landscape of NYC's key economic sectors and to design, develop, and implement innovative programs that address specific sector challenges and opportunities. Initiatives projects are strategic and impact-focused, spanning key industries such as: urban innovation & sustainability, emerging & applied technology, fashion, life sciences, healthcare, and cybersecurity.
Project Managers (PMs) in NYCEDC's Initiatives department are responsible for owning industry-specific programs across varying stages of development and implementation: from ideation & design, to launch & administration, to post-implementation & closeout. PMs play an integral part in shaping sector-specific strategy by undertaking primary and secondary research, engaging with external stakeholders across the private, public and nonprofit sectors to understand industry dynamics that inform program design, and collaborating cross-functionally to successfully launch, manage and grow programs. PMs work closely with all members of their team to foster a collaborative environment that generates innovative program ideas and opportunities for impactful public-private partnerships.
Your Role: The candidate will be responsible for developing and managing a portfolio of programs that support emerging technology sectors of strategic importance to the City. These can include both ongoing and pre-launch projects across cybersecurity, VR/AR, blockchain, artificial intelligence and big data, space technology commercialization, quantum computing, and new media.
* Support development of sector-specific strategy and drive program ideation
* Perform qualitative and quantitative market research to generate insights that inform program design (e.g., data gathering, competitive analysis, financial modeling, expert interviews)
* Support stakeholder engagement within strategic sectors and own relationships with key program partners to serve as an industry-facing representative of NYCEDC
* Manage various work streams related to program implementation to ensure project objectives are achieved, including developing project plans, coordinating and leading cross-functional teams, managing contracting and procurement, and administering, monitoring and evaluating programs against deliverables on an ongoing basis
* Create and deliver presentations, memorandums and other materials that effectively communicate program recommendations to build buy-in for programs with key audiences (e.g., senior EDC staff, City Hall staff, partner agencies, external stakeholders)
* Plan, coordinate, and execute events supporting NYCEDC's thought leadership across strategic sectors, including industry roundtables, conferences, panels and other dialogues involving City stakeholders, private companies, universities and non-profit organizations
Cyber NYC [link], is a highly visible portfolio aimed at catalyzing and growing a cybersecurity industry ecosystem in NYC. Announced by Mayor Bill de Blasio in the New York Works Report in July 2017 [link], Cyber NYC is a top priority for NYCEDC that has received significant coverage [Wall Street Journal article here]. If working on this project, the PM will oversee multiple operators and contracts associated with Cyber NYC; manage several complex projects; lead and organize high-profile meetings and network at industry events.
* Undergraduate degree required
* 2+ years of professional experience, ideally in a demanding analytical, strategic or entrepreneurial environment; business development and/or New York City government experience a plus
* Project management experience; demonstrated ability to design, launch and manage projects against tight timelines, to prioritize among competing needs, and to manage multiple projects at the same time
* Client relationship or partnership management experience; demonstrated ability to manage professional relationships with stakeholders in a results-oriented environment
* Ability to look strategically at the big picture and search for insightful, creative solutions
* Strong written and oral communications and presentation skills
* Strong quantitative skills including comfort with financial and market analysis and working with data sets
* Proactive self-starter and team player; able to work in collaborative, cross-functional teams
* Enterprising and resourceful, organized and results-oriented
* Comfort interfacing with senior officials and business leaders
* New York City residence is required within 180 days of hire
About NYCEDC: New York City Economic Development Corporation is the City's primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. NYCEDC's mission is to stimulate job growth through expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment, generate prosperity and strengthen the City's competitive position. NYCEDC serves as an advocate to the business community by building relationships with companies that allow them to take advantage of New York City's many opportunities. Additional information on NYCEDC can be found by visiting
Our Diversity & Inclusion Mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. Like the city of New York, NYCEDC knows our strength comes from each of our connected parts, making the fabric of our organization better and stronger because of our unique employees' talents. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone's contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NYCEDC offers excellent benefits, including company-paid 401 (a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, and discounted gym memberships and movie tickets. SDL2017