Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City's diverse people and bus...
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City's diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City's five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
The Initiatives Department at NYCEDC seeks to understand the rapidly-changing landscape of NYC's key economic sectors and to conceive, develop, and implement innovative programs that address specific sector challenges and opportunities. Initiatives projects are agile, strategic and impact-focused. We create, launch, and manage programs that partner with and impact the following industries and sectors: urban innovation & sustainability; industrial & manufacturing; fashion; emerging & applied technology; life sciences; healthcare; social finance; and international affairs.
Project Managers (PMs) in NYCEDC's Initiatives department are responsible for managing projects in varying stages of development and implementation: from ideation & design, to launch & administration, to post-implementation & closeout. PMs coordinate, communicate, and manage cross-functional project teams that often involve multiple public and private stakeholders. PMs also play an integral part in developing strategy by undertaking primary and secondary research, collaborating with internal research teams, and developing presentations for a variety of internal and external audiences. On a day-to-day basis, PMs stay attuned of trends in various industries, help launch initiatives in support of these insights, and support the growth and development of relationships with stakeholders in the private, public and nonprofit sectors.
PMs work closely with all members of the team to foster a collaborative environment that generates targeted and impactful insights, and innovative ideas and opportunities for public-private partnerships.
Your Role: The candidate will be responsible for managing business support programs within areas of fashion, creative industries and applied technologies. This can include, but is not limited to creative industries/projects such as fashion innovation initiatives, the Made in NY Fashion programs, culinary incubators and applied tech projects including, VR/AR Lab, blockchain initiatives, artificial intelligence and data initiatives, space commercialization and quantum computing.
* Manage various work streams related to initiatives, including coordinating cross-functional and cross-departmental project teams, to ensure project objectives are achieved and timelines are met
* Develop, implement and lead project plans at the beginning of a project that include specific analyses, project scope, timelines, individual responsibilities, etc.
* Help create and deliver presentations, memorandums and other materials that effectively communicate project recommendations and/or findings to various audiences (e.g., senior EDC staff, City Hall staff, partner agencies, external stakeholders)
* Provide management and support on all aspects of project planning and implementation, including but not limited to financial analysis, contract and procurement management, site visits and all other steps necessary to ensure individual project/initiative success
* Plan, coordinate, and execute events supporting the full range of Initiatives projects, including events such as industry roundtables and public private dialogues involving City stakeholders, private companies, universities and non-profit organizations
* Support team efforts in client management, ongoing relationship-building within industry communities, and awareness-building for Initiatives department programs and initiatives
* Conduct quantitative and qualitative research, including data gathering and analysis, financial modeling, and expert interviews, as and when necessary
* Contribute to personnel and team development
* Other duties, as assigned
* Undergraduate degree required
* 2+ years of professional experience, ideally in a demanding analytical, strategic or entrepreneurial environment; business development and/or New York City government experience a plus
* Project management experience; demonstrated ability to design, launch and manage projects against tight timelines, to prioritize among competing needs, and to manage multiple projects at the same time
* Client relationship or partnership management experience; demonstrated ability to manage professional relationships with stakeholders in a results-oriented environment
* Ability to look strategically at the big picture and search for insightful, creative solutions
* Strong written and oral communications and presentation skills
* Strong quantitative and problem-solving skills including financial analysis, comfort building financial models, and skilled in working with data sets
* Proactive "self-starter" and "team player"; able to work in collaborative, cross-functional teams
* Enterprising and resourceful, organized and results-oriented
* Comfort interfacing with senior officials and business leaders
* New York City residence is required within 180 days of hire
About NYCEDC: The New York City Economic Development Corporation (NYCEDC) is a non-profit organization that reports to the Deputy Mayor for Economic Development and Rebuilding. The NYCEDC is charged with encouraging economic growth in New York City through a variety of means, including facilitating real estate development, improving infrastructure, attracting and retaining businesses, and conducting economic research and analysis. Additional information on NYCEDC can be found by visiting SDL2017