Principal Scientist - Energy Management Expert
Take your next career step at ABB with a global team that is energizing the transformation o...
Principal Scientist - Energy Management Expert
Take your next career step at ABB with a global team that is energizing the transformation of society and industry to achieve a more productive, sustainable future.
At ABB, we have the clear goal of driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions: gender, LGBTQ+, abilities, ethnicity and generations. Together, we are embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual differences.
As an Energy Management Expert, you will lead our e-mobility system energy management research in the US, based in our Raleigh, NC facility. This position will become part of the ABB Electrification's e-Mobility (ELEM) technology development organization in the future.
Reporting to the Research Development Manager.
This position is graded as global grade 12.Your responsibilities
- Lead the development/enhancement of energy management features of ABB ELEM's smart charging management technologies and production systems for the North America Market (NAM), ), including but not limited to: short-term and long-term operation scheduling, considering EV load modeling/estimation at a charging depot and/or in a distribution service area, optimization for customer financial benefit, considering EV energy models, charging flexibility/patterns, other DERs in the system, rate cases and energy market/utility rules, fleet management applications.
- Lead the development and maintenance of hardware-in-the-loop simulation capability that involve ABB ELEM chargers and other DERs, and interface with other transportation system modeling systems, considering High fidelity EVSE modeling (including their dynamic control behavior) EVSE operation in the context of microgrid (buildings, energy storage, C&I plants/facilities, etc.), emergency operation control strategy of EVSE equipment - requirement and functions to increase system resilience.
- Monitor and leverage technology development and scientific studies in energy generation, consumption, trading, and power balance control of electrical distribution systems that incorporate EV loads, including but not limited to: grid impact of high-power charging and charger responses to grid disturbances, charging management strategy and method to reduce grid impact and provide grid services, microgrid, blockchain ledger, etc.
- Monitor and consider US government policy, utility business model and rate structure changes with related to EVSE/EV, distributed energy resources (DER), transportation system, etc. that may have impact on the business model and operation trade-off of ABB ELEM customers, including: grid interaction protocols and use cases, grid service business models, long term planning of charging depot location and size, V2G - distribution and transmission energy market participation value proposition and strategy (bilateral contract or spot market), tariff development with respect to EVSE and V2G.
- Collaborate with cybersecurity and e-mobility system colleagues to achieve differentiative product/solution features that meet current and future industry standards.
- Support product/solution introduction via pilot/demonstration activities.
- Support product/solution service ticket resolution when required.
- Initiate and maintain collaboration with external partners (national laboratories, EV vendors, utilities, fleet operators).
- Lead/contribute to proposals and participate in projects funded by ABB ELEM and/or US government agencies.
- Travel domestically and internationally, if required, and work with colleagues in the product/solution development organizations, to achieve the above duties.
- Develop and protect intellectual properties for the ABB ELEM businesses.
- Publish in technical conferences/journals/magazines, trade shows, and other platform to help promote the ABB e-mobility product/solution brand.
- Bachelors degree in engineering, information technology or related discipline with 10 years of working experience or Masters degree in engineering, information technology or related discipline with minimum 8 years working experience; PhD in electrical engineering with 6 years relevant R&D experience is preferred.
- R&D experience in, Distribution energy market, Model predictive control (MPC), Optimization formulation and solution techniques, including the trade-off between different solvers and their performance in real time applications, RTO/DSO energy market operations, Microgrid technologies.
- Familiarity and experience with IEEE 1547, IEC 61850, OpenADR, Modbus.
- Project management experiences; Leader of a major technology/product development or demonstration project a plus
- Experience and familiarity with (in addition to minimum qualifications): Machine learning, Data analytics, Edge/cloud computing, Opal-RT modeling, Hardware-in-the-loop test setup, fleet management topics and technologies highly desirable
- Candidates must already have a work authorization that would permit them to work for ABB in the US.
More about us
- Retirement plan
- Life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Medical insurance
- Wellbeing program
ABB's Electrification Global Markets organization is responsible for the go-to-market strategy and generating profitable growth for the Electrification Business Area. Our 10,000 strong commercial team represents the portfolio of all Electrification Business Area Divisions in over 100 countries. Our unmatched domain expertise across key industry verticals and channels combined with our truly global footprint makes us able to deliver extraordinary business results, supporting our customers with solutions which address their current needs, whilst considering the future emerging trends such as Urbanization, Digitalization and Shift to Electricity and Sustainable Energy.
We look forward to receiving your application. If you want to discover more about ABB, take another look at our website .
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB
ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizen status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave status, or protected veterans status. For more information regarding your (EEO) rights as an applicant, please visit the following websites:
As an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, applicants may request to review the Affirmative Action Plan of a particular ABB facility between the hours of 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. EST Monday through Friday by contacting an ABB HR Representative at 1-.
Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access ABB's career site as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling an ABB HR Representative at 1- or by sending an email to . Resumes and applications will not be accepted in this manner.