Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a crypto exchange and custodian that allows customers to buy, sell, store, and earn more th...
Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a crypto exchange and custodian that allows customers to buy, sell, store, and earn more than 30 cryptocurrencies like bitcoin, bitcoin cash, ether, litecoin, and Zcash. Gemini is a New York trust company that is subject to the capital reserve requirements, cybersecurity requirements, and banking compliance standards set forth by the New York State Department of Financial Services and the New York Banking Law. Gemini was founded in 2014 by twin brothers Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss to empower the individual through crypto.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Crypto is not just a technology, it's a movement.
At Gemini, our mission is to empower the individual and that includes giving our employees flexibility of choice - our Office Optional Policy allows employees to choose to work from one of our physical locations or from home.
Select roles that are location-specific will still be eligible for flexible schedules.
The Department: Financial Operations
The Financial Operations and Accounting Teams at Gemini are thought leaders in the digital asset accounting and finance space. Our mandate is to bridge the traditional world of finance with the innovation of cryptocurrency products, providing our clients with a best-in-class financial institution experience.
The Role: Principal, Global Tax
Our team is looking for a motivated tax accounting professional to support our rapidly growing business. In this role, you will provide leadership and execution of core financial tax accounting processes, monthly/quarterly close, reconciling of accounts, as well as preparing corporate income tax accounting reports and facts in accordance with guidelines. The ideal candidate will improve and expedite the corporate income tax accounting close procedures across a number of Gemini's businesses while working with various internal departments to develop financial reporting solutions and clarify accounting-related issues for both new and ongoing projects.
This role can be based in either our New York or San Francisco office once it is safe to return to the workplace.
* Review the corporate income federal, state, international and local tax estimates, extensions, and returns prepared by the external service providers and ensure to complete the tax filings timely.
* Assist in preparing quarterly and annual income tax provisions in accordance with ASC740 including U.S book-tax adjustments, return to provision true-ups, and tax related footnotes.
* Review foreign income tax provision packages and FIN48 reserves.
* Manage external service providers to prepare the U.S and foreign transfer pricing documentation reports and record to report the respective accounting entries and inter-company accounts.
* Monitor tax legislation updates and proactively analyze and communicate the impacts.
* Researches complex tax issues and is proficient in interpreting and applying the tax law, regulations, and cases to specific transactions and factual situations.
* Collaborate with various teams in the company to obtain information for tax related projects including Accounting, FP&A, Legal and Treasury team.
* Develop, implement, and maintain tax accounting controls and documentation
* Assist tax planning
* Assist other projects as required
* Bachelor's degree in Accounting and/or Masters in Taxation, Big4 CPA license preferred
* 8+ years' experience in Accounting, Audit, or Tax
* Big 4 and/or public company experience
* Thorough understanding of U.S. GAAP and financial accounting fundamentals
* International accounting and/or consolidation a plus
* Significant proficiency in MS Excel and Google Sheets
* Familiarity with business analytic/intelligence platforms
* Strong organizational and time management skills; ability to manage deadlines and responsibilities effectively; ability to multitask and work successfully under pressure
* High attention to detail
* Willingness to take on new challenges, responsibilities, and assignments
* Desire to work within a diverse, collaborative, and driven professional environment
* Experience working in Financial Services is a plus
It Pays to Work Here
We take a holistic approach to compensation at Gemini, which includes:
* Competitive Compensation and Profit-Sharing Equity
* Flexible vacation policy
* Retirement Plan Matching
* Generous Parental leave
* Comprehensive health plans
* Training and professional development
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.