Ripple's mission is to enable payments every way, everywhere for everyone. We believe connecting traditional financial entities like banks, ...
Ripple's mission is to enable payments every way, everywhere for everyone. We believe connecting traditional financial entities like banks, payment providers and corporations with emerging blockchain technologies and users is the path to an open, decentralized, and more inclusive financial future. This Internet of Value gives any internet-enabled person, application or device access to financial services that are transparent, fast, reliable, and cheap. Delivering this vision is a challenge of massive scale spanning $155 trillion in annual cross border fiat payments and the $1.5 trillion market of digital assets that has grown 10X in the last year.
Ripple's distributed financial technology outperforms today's banking infrastructure by driving down costs, increasing processing speeds and delivering end-to-end visibility into payment fees, timing and delivery. Ripple's Database Engineering team manages distributed database platform infrastructure that enable banks to instantly settle cross-border payments to create the Internet of Value. The team partners with stakeholders across the company for cutting edge product development, business strategy, complex inter dependencies, high availability, security, performance, scalability, cost optimization requirements and customer servicing.
We are looking for a passionate engineer with deep experience in relational and non-relational database technologies and cloud native technologies. This position will be responsible for designing, architecting and scaling enterprise level database infrastructure in order to power high-impact initiatives across the broader organization.
What You'll Do
What We're Looking For
- Design and architect complex relational database systems with cloud native principles and best practices to ensure the application is highly available, secure, performant and scalable.
- Define and drive technical strategy to achieve business objectives in alignment with engineering leadership
- Evaluate application requirements and provide architectural recommendations for deploying enterprise class databases in the cloud that meet strict compliance requirements.
- Empower the organization to transform the cloud relational database infrastructure space to support next generation applications, products and services
- Lead major database infrastructure upgrades, deployment automation, scalability enhancements and production change control
- Partner with architects, principal engineers and engineering managers to champion database engineering best practices in an agile development environment
- Resident expert in database performance, scalability, complex query tuning, monitoring and incident response.
- Lead the automation effort to gather and publish database related metrics to monitoring dashboards to improve our ability to proactively analyze and detect problems impacting stability of the applications.
- Be the thought leader in database technologies and collaborate with SRE and product teams to drive platform-wide improvements such as availability, reliability and scalability.
- Review existing tools and frameworks that interact with databases in the cloud, propose enhancements and recommendations to improve them.
- Mentor other DB engineers, and influence the overall team's culture and collaboration model with other engineering teams.
Nice To Have
- Bachelor or Master's degree in computer science or a related technical field.
- 18+ years of solid hands-on database design, development & enterprise class operational experience
- 15+ years of experience with two or more of the following database technologies: PostgreSQL/ SQL Server/ Oracle/ MySQL/ Aurora PostgreSQL/ Aurora MySQL
- 15+ years of experience with database internals, replication internals, diagnosing memory leaks, data corruption, replication, and database performance tuning
- 10+ years experience leading and managing cloud database infrastructure in cloud environments for large enterprises applications, preferably AWS
- 10+ years of experience in migrating mission-critical database applications from on-premise to cloud or running a hybrid cloud environment for large enterprises
- 10+ years of experience with one of the replication technologies: Goldengate/MEB/DMS, etc.
- 5+ years of experience of mentoring a team of junior database developers and engineers
- Deep experience in database performance tuning, troubleshooting, monitoring and alerting.
- Proven experience with driving cross functional relationships with internal leadership, stakeholders, and partners to create relatable and scale database offerings for enterprise customers
- Strong experience leading and influencing product roadmap and strategy, prioritizing pre-existing database initiatives to drive extraordinary business outcomes.
- Solid experience with data modeling for OLTP and data warehousing including performance tuning.
- Solid experience with any two or more of the monitoring tools is highly desirable: Sumo Logic, Splunk, Wavefront, SentryOne, Nagios, Datadog, AppDynamics, New Relic
- Experience with any one of the programming languages is highly desirable: Python or Ruby.
- Experience with distributed systems and container-based development using Docker and Kubernetes ecosystem is highly desirable.
- Experience with configuration management and provisioning tools such as Chef, Puppet, Terraform, CloudFormation etc. is highly desirable
- Cloud certification is highly desirable.
- SQL and any database certification(s) is highly desirable.
What We Offer
- Experience working in FinTech is a plus.
- Experience of NoSQL & Big Data technologies is a plus.
- Familiarity with blockchain technology is a plus
Who We Are
- The chance to work in a fast-paced start-up environment with experienced industry leaders
- A learning environment where you can dive deep into the latest technologies and make an impact
- Competitive salary and equity
- 100% paid medical and dental and 95% paid vision insurance for employees starting on your first day
- 401k (with match), commuter benefits
- Industry-leading parental leave policies
- Generous wellness reimbursement and weekly onsite programs
- Flexible vacation policy - work with your manager to take time off when you need it
- Employee giving match
- Modern office in San Francisco's Financial District
- Fully-stocked kitchen with organic snacks, beverages, and coffee drinks
- Weekly company meeting - ask me anything style discussion with our Leadership Team
- Team outings to sports games, happy hours, game nights and more!
Ripple is doing for value what the internet did for information: enabling its instant and seamless flow around the world. We call this the Internet of Value (IoV). Using blockchain and cryptocurrency technology, Ripple is dedicated to creating powerful gains in financial efficiency, equity and inclusion. In addition, Ripple is developing and enabling the future use cases that will catalyze the new digital economy for governments, businesses and consumers.
Ripple has offices in San Francisco (HQ), New York, London, Mumbai, Singapore, São Paulo, Reykjavík, Washington D.C. and Dubai.Ripple is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We're committed to building a diverse and inclusive team. We do not discriminate against qualified employees or applicants because of race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual preference, sexual identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military status, or any other characteristic protected by local law or ordinance.
Please find our UK/EU applicant privacy notice here.