PAX Labs is an award-winning, consumer technology brand that supports responsible, adult use. Our products represent the gold ...
PAX Labs is an award-winning, consumer technology brand that supports responsible, adult use. Our products represent the gold standard in product quality and we aim to move the space beyond unfortunate stereotypes of cannabis users. Most of all, we want to be good stewards for a product and movement that enhances many people's lives.
Headquartered in San Francisco, PAX is backed by leading technology investors including Fidelity Investments, Tiger Global and Tao Invest (Pritzker family fund). We are an exceptional team with hardware and software backgrounds in consumer technology, healthcare, and biotech, and are growing rapidly to deliver on our mission. Our internal culture values diversity, integrity, having an impact, and passion for the larger movement that PAX is a part of.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
PAX Labs is looking for a software team leader that will be responsible for putting together the founding engineering team working on the PAX software platform. The work will involve a considerable amount of new service development as we add innovative features to our highly rated PAX Mobile App, and build software and data systems integration with a new breed of automated ERA pod filling machines. This is a key role that will help define the future of PAX's platform engineering function at the company.
* Design, build and improve APIs and services that comprise the PAX software platform.
* Recruit, hire, train and support a world-class backend software team focused on large-scale data ingestion, development of advanced recommendation algorithms and state-of-the-art approaches to responsible, secure handling of data.
* Work with cross-functional teams including product, mobile and firmware engineering teams and participate in design discussions, decision-making and code reviews.
* Lead engineering discussions and mentor others on engineering best practices.
* Establish processes for production and on-call support and maximize application of DevOps principles where possible
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
* Minimum 5 years experience building and/or directly managing a backend software engineering team. 8+ years prior hands-on coding experience on backend or big data services.
* Expert knowledge designing and building scalable micro-services, asynchronous processing systems and large-scale data analysis and/or recommendation engines.
* Good understanding of distributed systems, data stores, data modeling, indexing and associated trade-offs for performance and security.
* Comfortable working in remote virtual server/systems environments such as Amazon Web Services or Google Cloud.
* Experience running distributed Big Data/Machine Learning components at scale; Spark, Presto, Spark Streaming, Spark Mllib, H2O, Kafka or Big Query a big plus
* An understanding of software development methodologies to continuously integrate, deliver, and deploy software using modern CI/CD tools and processes.
* Exposure to consumer grade regulatory and data privacy frameworks, anonymisation or de-identification methods. Prior experience leveraging blockchain technology a plus.
KEY ATTRIBUTES NECESSARY FOR SUCCESS:
* Experience building teams and services from scratch; a healthy dose of can-do attitude, flexibility and ability to break complex product needs into actionable sprints for engineers.
* Must be a strong, self-motivated individual that can work with minimum day to day supervision and able to objectively rank and prioritize development work for themselves and their team.
* Excellent English verbal and written communication skills.
* Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science or related fields.
PAX LABS PERKS & BENEFITS:
* A place to grow your career. We'll help you set big goals - and exceed them
* People. Work with talented, committed and supportive teammates
* Equity and performance bonuses. Every employee is a stakeholder in our success
* Cell phone subsidy, wellness reimbursement, commuter benefits and discounts on PAX products
* Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits
* Location. Work in the heart of San Francisco
Vapor, PAX, ERA,, Work Culture, Fast Paced, Start-up, Growth, Vape, Technology, Software, Hardware, Consumer Electronics, Manufacturing, Design, Product, Disruptive, Revolutionary, Cutting Edge, App, Android, eCommerce, B2C, San Francisco, Bay Area, IoT, San Jose, Los Angeles SDL2017