We are looking for a Director of Advanced development for VMware's Integrated System Business Unit (ISBU). ISBU's mission...
We are looking for a Director of Advanced development for VMware's Integrated System Business Unit (ISBU). ISBU's mission is to create secure and agile hybrid clouds and to enable enterprises to run a spectrum of modern workloads, from mission critical workflows to apps leveraging containers, ML/AI, Blockchain, Big Data, FaaS, HPC infrastructure or other technologies in both private and public environments. For more information:
Our Advanced Development and Innovation team is not cloistered in a separate lab but embedded within the engineering organization, allowing them to build promising ideas quickly and test them with customers. This is a high impact team that's exploring concepts to build the next generation of products and services. Ideas come from our business, other BUs, Office of the CTO, through collaboration with research programs at partner universities, as well as customers. From prototyping implementations to designing new architectures, our team works on customer problems that advance building cloud based products and services.
The Director of Advanced Development and Innovation is a passionate and seasoned software development and research leader, with a 15+ year proven track record in bridging the gap between research and development, and successfully conceptualizing new ideas, and then delivering innovative solutions and services, including, ideally, a moonshot project.
A deep understanding of distributed systems, algorithms, infrastructure software, cloud services, Machine Intelligence and Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing is needed for this position. This position reports to the Vice President, Engineering ? Integrated Systems Business Unit.
Job Role and Responsibilities:
* Lead, collaborate, and influence: You are comfortable leading and managing a team of senior engineers, both within your teams and outside your direct reporting line. You excel working across cross-functional teams. You engage, influence and collaborate with product engineering, product management, marketing, field and solution architects, other Business Units, Office of the CTO, our partner universities and customers, to innovate, and in turn advance VMware solutions and business, in this visible and impactful role.
* Bias towards action: You act with speed to advance VMware solution frontiers. You initiate projects and efforts, manage priorities, deadlines, and deliverables, adapt to changes and setbacks, demonstrate and apply theories through advanced development efforts, to develop new and improved products, solutions, processes, or services.
* Team Player and mentor: You mentor, develop and hire members into your team. You chip in to fill gaps, and support others, even outside your direct scope. You inspire and develop teams to improve, through coaching, reviews, and help design, architect and build better solutions.
* Technical Acumen, Passion, Energy and Commitment: You are a strong and credible technical leader. You love what you do and bring infectious enthusiasm to your endeavors and team. You maintain a culture of passion, pride, forward thinking quest, and execution excellence in your team. You influence other teams around you. You thrive in fast paced environments. You see challenges as an opportunity to make an impact and perform at your absolute best. You hold yourself personally accountable for innovation and customer success and jump in to take ownership of issues.
* Deep thinker: You have an ability to see the forest for the trees, present "the big picture" and offer solutions to make it better. An extraordinarily intelligent, rigorous thinker who can operate successfully among very bright and charismatic people.
* Strong Design and Communication skills: You help your team understand requirements. You show great attention to the quest[JG1] and design aspect of your teams' efforts. You communicate excellently, but you are also a great listener.
There are always more innovative ideas and solutions out there, and you possess a never-ending quest to find them, and open up the boundaries of product and solutions, making them better, and improving customer experiences. We at ISBU and in VMware work to provide customers with great services and products continually. But, in your role, great just isn't good enough.
* 15+ years' experience in software and systems research and advanced development, with a strong track record of developing and delivering of innovative, complex, distributed products and services
* Experience leading teams working on advanced development and delivering innovative solutions
* MS or PhD degree in Computer Science or related discipline, Machine Learning, Computer Systems, or related technical field. Exposure to Deep Learning, Neural Networks, or related fields and a strong interest and knack to learn about new areas
* Experience and depth in one or more general purpose programming languages including but not limited to: C/C++ or Python
* Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
* Exposure to industry or academic research. Prior technical paper publications and patents SDL2017