Digital Health Director
The American Medical Association (AMA), a nonprofit, is the nation's largest professional Association o...
Digital Health Director
The American Medical Association (AMA), a nonprofit, is the nation's largest professional Association of physicians. We are a unifying voice and powerful ally for America's physicians, the patients they care for, and the promise of a healthier nation. To be part of the AMA is to be part of our Mission to promote the art and science of medicine and the betterment of public health.
As an employer, we are dedicated to many efforts, including employee learning and development, social responsibility, diversity and inclusion and wellness. Our well-defined culture has strongly impacted the prosperity of our organization. Our foundational values of Respect, Integrity, Innovation, Impact, Collaboration, Agility and Trust are at the core of our efforts and continue to shape the success of the AMA.
We have an opportunity at our headquarters in Chicago for a Digital Health Director on our Practice Sustainability and Professional Satisfaction team. As part of this team you will provide clinical leadership for AMA programs focused on improving the quality and adoption of evidence based digital health solutions (e.g. remote patient monitoring, telehealth, etc.) with the goal of improving professional satisfaction and practice sustainability. Serve as a clinical lead for digital health research and program efforts focused on digital health implementation and EHR optimization. Serve as a subject matter expert and physician liaison in collaborations with external stakeholders including speaking opportunities. Provide input into AMA programs and initiatives focused on ensuring physician input in emerging technologies, scaling validated solutions and improving and influencing improvements for the industry.
Provide clinical leadership for AMA programs focused on the development and adoption of evidence-based digital health solutions
- Provide direction on ongoing program development and refining strategies for health systems, practicing physicians, residents and medical students, as well as key industry stakeholders (e.g. health IT companies, EHR vendors, venture capitalists, industry accelerators/incubators)
- Collaborate with internal AMA business units (e.g. Health Solutions, Improving Health Outcomes, Advocacy, Environmental Intelligence, Health & Science) on integrating strategies, as applicable
- Work closely with VP of Digital Health Innovations and other physicians within the unit to incorporate and align recommendations and efforts
Provide research leadership to advance the AMA digital health research agenda
- Provide research, clinical and technical expertise to guide rigor in study methodology, analysis and publication
- Work closely with collaborators/contracted entities to advance AMA's digital health implementation and EHR optimization research agendas
- Stay abreast of industry research, news and activities related to HIT, digital health, data privacy, security, interoperability and emerging technologies (e.g. AI, blockchain)
As the clinical representative, organize and lead key stakeholder meetings advancing digital health adoption
- Represent AMA at appropriate meetings, events and conferences
- Serve as a physician liaison and clinical lead in collaborations with external stakeholders, including regulatory agencies, payers, industry leaders, associations and health care stakeholders
- Contribute to planning of select industry convening events and summits
- Convene and lead summits/meetings to advance awareness, engagement, research and solutions on digital health solution development and adoption needs
Serve as clinical representative fostering health system and other stakeholder engagement
- Serve as the clinical lead for presentations to C-suite leaders on topics of HIT, digital health and emerging technologies
- Conduct grand rounds, leadership meeting presentation, etc. for requesting health systems and industry leaders, as applicable
- Promote and scale AMA's efforts by identifying opportunities to represent AMA as a subject matter expert
- Expand the reach and impact of AMA digital health programs and resources such as the AMA Physician Innovation Network and the Digital Health Implementation Playbook
May include other responsibilities as assigned
- Allopathic (MD) or osteopathic (DO) medical degree required; strong preference for candidates trained and board certified in a medical specialty or hospital setting
- Minimum 4-5 years of clinical experience required with continued commitment to practice approximately at least 30% of the time
- Minimum of 2 years' experience working in HIT, digital health and the health care start-up environment; in-depth knowledge on (system level) technical challenges and HIT issues impacting practicing physicians
- Strong knowledge of health information technology industry specifics, including technical specifications, industry initiatives, and technical standards and policies; strong HIT network preferred
- Experience in conducting and publishing research; candidates with a history of presenting at national or international industry events and meetings preferred
- Clear and engaging speaker with proven presentation skills; strong writer; exceptional interpersonal and coalition building skills
- Experience working in a corporate governance environment, particularly with senior management in large organizations; demonstrated ability to handle ambiguity and adapt effectively to changing circumstances
- Strong matrix management and team building skills; experience working with professionals from diverse backgrounds; ability to teach, coach and mentor staff, supervisory experience preferred
- Travel required
The AMA offers competitive salaries, including an incentive plan; excellent benefits and progressive technology. Our office is a business casual environment and we respect work-life balance. The American Medical Association is located at 330 N. Wabash Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 and is convenient to all public transportation in Chicago.
We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity in our workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. As an EOE/AA employer, the American Medical Association will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and veteran or disability status.
THE AMA IS COMMITTED TO IMPROVING THE HEALTH OF THE NATION