Thomas J. Watson said it best: "Good design is good business." Visualization is critical to discovering data-driven insights a...
Thomas J. Watson said it best: "Good design is good business." Visualization is critical to discovering data-driven insights and effectively communicating that knowledge to others. Designers at IBM work to create experiences that work together, work the same, and work for our clients. Does the thought of creating the platform at the heart of solutions like Watson, Blockchain, IoT, and Security excite you? If so, read on!
Your Role and Responsibilities
Join us as we pursue our disruptive vision to make IBM's Multicloud Management Platform (MCMP), the platform of choice to provide global enterprises with a self-service, digital control plane for Multicloud and Hybrid IT environments. We are a business unit filled with people who are passionate about our solution and seek to deliver the best experience for our customers.
We are building the next generation micro-services based Multicloud Management Platform - the very foundation on which all GTS Multicloud services will be digitally delivered. As Design Lead, you will have a unique opportunity to build and produce ideas that will evolve and craft the backbone of UX design for the future of IBM's spinoff: Kyndryl.
We're looking for Design Researchers with a passion for uncovering latent user needs and solving real users' problems. While the entire team is focused on doing what is best for the user, the Design Researcher is in many ways the "voice of the user" within our product teams. Although Design Research will be your primary role, we're looking for candidates with secondary skill in Interaction Design.
* Work closely with Design Team members, Product Managers and Developers to identify hypotheses that need investigation
* Plan, design, and conduct Lean UX activities (in person and remote) in an Agile environment such as:
* User research to identify user needs and to inform persona development;
* Hands-on workshops, brainstorming and participatory design sessions as appropriate;
* Secondary research (market research reports, psychology whitepapers, previous user research, etc.) as a means to supplement primary research with real users;
* Analyze and synthesize research in order to translate insights into actions and requirements
* Distill the inherent complexity and identify the right problems to solve
* Clearly and quickly deliver findings and recommendations to cross-functional teams verbally and visually through low-fidelity information radiators (process flows, diagrams, etc.)
* Create and maintain personas in order to build team empathy and use them in storytelling techniques
* Evaluate and validate early designs through regular usability testing of wireframes and clickable prototypes as well as published products
* Work with User Experience Designers, Visual Designers and Developers to ensure that research is conducted that will support design choices
* Be creative, curious, questioning, open to critique and have a ton of initiative
* Demonstrated ability to:
* Design research methodologies including primary and secondary research, interviews, usability testing (primarily remote) and surveys
* Translate research findings into specific, prioritized recommendations to improve product designs
* Tell a meaningful story about the user
* Written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to articulate alternative approaches and to present information
* Attention to detail
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
* Bachelor's Degree in a related field including HCI, Psychology, Interaction Design, or equivalent practical experience
* Portfolio/work samples at any fidelity including:
* Information radiators such as personas, mental models, diagrams, etc.
* Visualizations of complex user experiences: flows, scenarios, etc.
* Early sketches to low-fidelity interactions (show your process)
* At least 5 years' experience conducting user research with responsibilities and skills similar to the list above
* At least 2 years of experience in Secondary skill of Interaction Design
* Experience working on complex products with multiple user groups
* Readiness to travel up to 25% annually
* Extensive knowledge of software tools for design, production and implementation required.
* Familiarity with enterprise software, product interfaces, and other industry trends a plus.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
* Master's Degree in a related field
* Experience working with distributed teams, even better if you have international experience
* Data analysis and statistical analysis experience
* Experience with Agile and Lean approaches
* Experience with natural language processing or artificial intelligence software