Click on "Learn more about this agency" button below to view Eligibilities being considered and other IMPOR...
Click on "Learn more about this agency" button below to view Eligibilities being considered and other IMPORTANT information.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? Visit us on the web at
Learn more about this agency
WHAT IS THE CRIMINAL INVESTIGATIONDIVISION?
A description of the business units can be found at:
The following are the duties of this position at the full working level. If you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform these duties and will receive training to help you grow in this position.
* Conduct research into areas such as artificial intelligence including the application of computers to solve problems and to understand the principles of human intelligence.
* Consult and collaborate with other national/international experts from industry and other governments to develop policies and direction; represent IRS-CI and the U.S. in national and international technical committees and consortia as a speaker and/or participant; primarily assist the Cyber Crimes Section as well as the Cyber Crime Support Unit to provide guidance, direction and expertise in the areas of dark web monitoring, social media research and virtual currency analysis.
* Conduct technology surveillance to identify effective technological methods and services to investigate cybercrimes, based on analytical needs that are identified during work within the cybercrime program area.
* Perform research and development related to the identification, analysis, and development of cutting-edge techniques aimed at enhancing the investigative capabilities of CI's cybercrime program.
* Provide expertise with investigations into criminal activity which leverages the Open Internet, Deep Web, Dark Web, or virtual currency by leveraging a broad understanding of cyber intelligence, methods used by cyber criminals to evade detection, as well as technical and case-related operational knowledge. This includes, but is not limited to, activity monitoring, data collection, interpretation, and visualization, as well as virtual currency activity monitoring and analysis.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
* Job family (Series)
1550 Computer Science
Conditions of Employment
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
* We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
* This is a Non-bargaining unit position.
* Relocation Expense: No
* Obtain and use a Government-issued charge card for business-related travel.
* Alternative work schedule, staggered work hours or telework may be available.
* Tour of Duty: Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.
* Must meet IRS telework eligibility requirements.
* Drug Test with a Negative result is required.
* A 1-year probationary period is required.
* Must successfully complete a background investigation including an FBI criminal history record check (fingerprint check).
* Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment, at the time requested by the agency.
* Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9. Federal laws requires verification of the identity and employment of all new hires in the U.S.
* If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959 certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
* Undergo an income tax verification and review of prior performance/conduct.
* File a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report within 30 days of appointment and annually from then on.
* Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement:
You must have a Bachelor's degree in computer science or bachelor's degree with 30 semester hours in a combination of mathematics, statistics, and computer science. At least 15 of the 30 semester hours must have included any combination of statistics and mathematics that included differential and integral calculus. All academic degrees and course work must be from accredited or pre-accredited institutions.
Applicants should have sufficient knowledge to understand the fundamental concepts and techniques of computer science. Courses designed to provide an introduction to computer science techniques and methodologies, to problems of system design, and to other specialized fields are acceptable. Courses or experience in teaching elementary, business, or shop mathematics are not acceptable.
In addition to meeting the basic requirements, you must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-13 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes demonstrated professional competence in applying the theoretical foundations of computer science, including the design, development and application of computer systems and architectures, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, deep learning, data ingestion, normalization, and ontologies; Specialized knowledge in software exploitation techniques, cryptanalysis, or blockchain technology; and Knowledge of relevant mathematical and statistical sciences.
Qualifying experience would include: working complex assignments in research, acquisition, design, development and maintenance of information systems for identifying and tracing movements in cryptocurrency, deanonymization of online actors, identifying suspicious activity, or analyzing and organizing large volumes of unstructured data, and leading projects to design, acquire, and implement major prototype and developmental systems or make extensive modifications and upgrades to existing systems, taking into account changing requirements and interfaces, advances in technology, and evolving standards.
* Federal experience is not required. The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector or Volunteer Service. One year of experience refers to Full time work; part-timework is considered on a prorated basis.
* To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
For more information on qualifications please refer to OPM's Qualifications Standards.
For positions with an education requirement, or if you are qualifying for this position by substituting education or training for experience, submit a copy of your transcripts or equivalent. If the position has specific education requirements and you are currently (or have previously been) in the Federal job series to be filled, there is no need to submit a transcript or equivalent at this time, but you must provide an SF-50 documenting you held this job series. An official transcript will be required if you are selected.
A college or university degree generally must be from an accredited (or pre-accredited) college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a list of schools which meet these criteria, please refer to Department of Education Accreditation page.
If you are qualifying based on foreign education, you must submit proof of creditability of education as evaluated by a credentialing agency. Refer to the OPM instructions.