Ultimate Software is looking to hire a Chief Architect for Emerging Technologies. This person will serve as a member of the Technology Strat...
Ultimate Software is looking to hire a Chief Architect for Emerging Technologies. This person will serve as a member of the Technology Strategy and Architecture organization with oversight on projects that explore the emerging technologies and technical strategies that will help establish the technical vision for the future scale of Ultimate Software. They will create and manage a research and innovation lab that will work on exploring technological opportunities and formulating emerging tech strategies that will set the foundation to solve complex business strategic goals. They will establish the starting point for new technologies, architectural patterns and practices, and enterprise architecture scale and efficiencies that will shape how software development and technology adoption will evolve at Ultimate. As a technical leader in the Development organization, this person will be responsible for building and operating a team of researchers, scientists, architects, engineers, and technical ambassadors that will enable technical research for the existing technical community at Ultimate.
This position is available in Fort Lauderdale FL and Atlanta GA. We offer amazing relocation packages if you are interested in moving to either of these areas.
Here at Ultimate Software, we truly put our people first. We strongly believe in teamwork, and we encourage and trust our people to reach higher, learn more, and live up to their potential. Ultimate is ranked #1 on Fortune's Best Places to Work in Technology for 2019 and #8 on the 100 Best Companies to Work For list in 2019. Ultimate is also ranked #1 on Fortune?s 75 Best Workplaces for Women and #5 on its Best Workplaces for Diversity list.
Primary/Essential Duties and Key Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with CTO and Development Senior Leadership in defining and understanding the business requirements tied to imperative business strategic goals.
- Build, manage, and lead a team of technologists, scientists, and engineers to perform R+D work towards the exploration of emerging technologies and technical strategies via rapid execution of roofshot and moonshot projects tasked with demonstrating feasibility of achieving key business strategic goals.
- Lead team to research, design, test, and evaluate new technologies via the agile delivery of POCs.
- Lead a group of Software, Principal, Distinguished Architects, as well as Technical Fellows, to serve as Technical Ambassadors of goodwill for our internal Technical Community as well as the external Tech Industry and Academia communities.
- Lead the definition of the emerging technical and architectural strategies based on the results of research and experimentation.
- Lead the team to effectively communicate and present the technical strategies so that development teams properly understand why the strategies need to be adopted.
- Serve as Technical Ambassador outside of Ultimate for scientific and engineering exploration across all aspects of technology: Software, Data+AI, Cloud, UI, Quality, and Security.
- Lead the team to build and maintain critical partnership and collaborative work with the external technical industry, open source communities, and academia.
- Lead the team to develop and maintain a set of incubated coded libraries and components in inner-sourced repositories.
- Lead the team to publish technical white papers and research findings to larger technical community, partnering with industry and academia as needed.
- Lead the team to prepare and publish materials for the submission of patents, as needed.
- Lead the team to serve as technical strategic advisors to research work being executed in the Development organization.
- Lead the team to speak on large stages, conferences, and events in order to communicate Ultimate?s technology story.
- 15+ years of technical experience in the IT industry
- 8+ years of technical leadership and architecture experience in software and cloud development (ideally in PaaS and SaaS)
- 8+ years? experience designing and delivering large scale distributed systems
- 5+ years experience building, managing, and leading a research and innovation lab.
- Current experience applying new and emerging technologies such as Blockchain, AI and Machine Learning, and Quantum Computing to name a few. Experience in new applications of IoT with software in the enterprise a plus.
- Expert understanding of security, reliability, scalability, high availability, and concurrency architectural patterns and solutions.
- Expert in solution design across the full technology stack, including for public and hybrid cloud deployments.
- Expert in patterns and solutions that enable evolutionary architectures, leveraging flexibility and creativity when balancing the present technologies with emerging ones when formulating new strategies.
- Influential speaker and an expert in designing and delivering presentations on large stages, including technical keynotes.
- Prior experience with at least one major IaaS and/or PaaS technology (OpenStack, AWS, GCP, Azure, Kubernetes, Cloud Foundry, etc.)
- Prior experience with relational and non-relational database technologies (MySQL, MongoDB, Cassandra)
- Prior experience with messaging and event streaming solutions (Kafka, RabbitMQ, Kafka Streams, Spark)
- Prior experience with agile development, Continuous Delivery, DevOps, and SRE practices
- Strong understanding of infrastructure and related technologies (compute, storage, networking)
- Proficient in at least one static OO language (C#, Java, Scala)
- Proficient in at least one web application framework (Angular, React)
- Proficient in at least one mobile application framework (Apple xCode, Swift, Android Studio, Ionic)
- Proficient in current development tools (Github, Gitlab, CLI, Vim, Jetbrains, Xamarin, Visual Studio, Concourse.ci, CircleCI, Jenkins )
- Bachelors or Masters in Science with a specialization in Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, or Engineering is required.
- Phd or Doctorate degree in Science, Mathematics, or Engineering is preferred.
- Ability to travel.
- Ability to communicate with team members, partners, stakeholders, and the internal and external technical community.
- Ability to create output artifacts in the form of documentation, slide decks, and programming code.
- 20-30% travel to other ultimate Software Offices will be required.
This job description has been written to provide an accurate reflection of the current job and to include the general nature of work performed. It is not designed to contain a comprehensive detailed inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of the employees assigned to the job. Management reserves the right to revise the job or require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change.
Ultimate Software will reasonably accommodate employees with disabilities as defined by the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and other appropriate statutes. If you are an applicant and need a reasonable accommodation when applying for job opportunities within the Company or request a reasonable accommodation to utilize the Company?s online employment application, please contact .