The Category Manager leverages an entrepreneurial and analytical focus to help develop and execute the business strategy f...
The Category Manager leverages an entrepreneurial and analytical focus to help develop and execute the business strategy for high-growth product categories to drive revenue and profitability. In this role, you will lead a team focused on driving retail sales through a well-defined category strategy, assortment gap analysis, influential new product development, margin improvements, and supplier relationships. You will assume full accountability for the business results of your product categories and leverage partnerships across the organization to help drive positive outcomes.
A successful Category Manager is a proactive self-starter who is strategic in identifying opportunities to advance the business. You will work directly with our suppliers as well as internal cross-functional teams, including Site Merchandising, Supplier Management, Supply Chain, Pricing, and Analytics to accelerate your category's business plan and drive strategic business decisions. This role will help define the strategy for your category portfolio, execute against tactical plans, and manage key business metrics. Category Managers must be able to expertly negotiate internally and externally, while also maintaining positive relationship with vendors, suppliers, and peers. You must be able to thrive in an entrepreneurial environment, have experience negotiating successfully, manage competing priorities, and be a forward-looking problem solver. High judgment, data-driven decisiveness, and exceptional communications are critical to the success in this role.
* Set the strategy for your categories to maximize product performance and achieve sales plan and profitability goals
* Align category business strategy to overarching company goals
* Utilize data from multiple sources, including Customer Insights, to help shape the strategic focus for your categories
* Analyze sales and market trend data, identify assortment gaps, and work directly with suppliers to influence new product development to drive incremental sales
* Leverage forward-looking data to proactively analyze business to identify areas of opportunity and potential impediments to category success
* Establish, build, and manage strong external supplier relationships
* Analyze data to strategize profit growth opportunities for specific categories and suppliers
* Partner collaboratively with cross-functional teams including Analytics and BI, Site Merchandising, Supply Chain, Pricing, and Supplier Management to optimize and drive positive results for your categories
* Analyze competitor category, assortment, and pricing strategies and make recommendations for optimization
* Attend tradeshows and markets with key suppliers to maintain favorable relationships and inform category strategies
* Manage, mentor and develop Category Associates for future growth within the department and organization
* Bachelor's degree required; advanced degree a plus
* 4+ years of proven success in Merchandising (preferably ecommerce), Category Management, Technology, Retail Planning, or related field
* Ability to successfully coach and develop a team
* Strong analytical skills with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with competing timelines effectively
* Proven ability to identify, analyze, and recommend solutions to complex problems with an exceptional attention to detail
* Passionate team player who thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment and who works effectively and collaboratively across all departments to meet goals and deadlines
* Detail-oriented with proven experience developing and executing online category strategies that increase revenue and profitability
* A track record of successful negotiation and building positive supplier relationships
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Exceptional Excel skills; SQL a plus
Who We Are:
Just a few minutes from Salt Lake City and Utah's ski slopes, Overstock is an original resident of "Silicon Slopes", one of the fastest growing technology hubs in the country. We're a passionate group of collaborative problem solvers and creative innovators, working on cutting-edge technology. From building award-winning retail applications (with amazing AR functionality) to creating leading blockchain and machine learning technologies, each of us embodies a unique value and contributes a diverse perspective to the team.
What We Offer:
* 401k (6% match)
* Flexible Schedules
* Onsite Health Clinic
* Tuition Reimbursement, Leadership Development Program, & Mentorship Program
* Onsite Fitness Center with group fitness classes and trainers
* Onsite Cafe with additional Coffee Shop and Juice Bar
* Onsite Greenhouse, providing fresh fruits & vegetables for our cafe
* Overstock Women's Network (OWN)
* And More…
* Benefits vary based on position, tenure, location, and employee election
This position requires you to sit, stand and perform general office functions. You may also be required to lift up to 25 pounds occasionally. Bending, stooping and reaching are also frequently required.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and associates. This policy includes our commitment to ensure that all employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability, pregnancy, veteran status (including Vietnam era veterans), age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other non-job-related characteristic protected by law.
Back to Overstock Careers