Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a crypto exchange and custodian that allows customers to buy, sell, store, and earn more th...
Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a crypto exchange and custodian that allows customers to buy, sell, store, and earn more than 30 cryptocurrencies like bitcoin, bitcoin cash, ether, litecoin, and Zcash. Gemini is a New York trust company that is subject to the capital reserve requirements, cybersecurity requirements, and banking compliance standards set forth by the New York State Department of Financial Services and the New York Banking Law. Gemini was founded in 2014 by twin brothers Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss to empower the individual through crypto.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Crypto is not just a technology, it's a movement.
The Department: Financial Operations
The Financial Operations and Accounting Teams at Gemini are thought leaders in the digital asset accounting and finance space. Our mandate is to bridge the traditional world of finance with the innovation of cryptocurrency products, providing our clients with a best-in-class financial institution experience.
The Role: Associate Director, Technical Accounting
Gemini is seeking a motivated leader with a drive to operate in a high-growth environment and strong experience in technical accounting. The position will be an entrusted cross-functional business partner supporting the Finance department and specific products at Gemini. The ideal candidate has excellent attention to detail, experience with complex accounting interpretations, and an ability to communicate complex ideas with a wide array of stakeholders.
- Interpret U.S. GAAP accounting standards and SEC guidance to determine the accounting and financial reporting treatment for new, material, and/or complex, unusual transactions or agreements
- Assessment and implementation of all technical accounting topics impacting the company, including evaluation, documentation, and communication of all new accounting standards and financial reporting trends
- Support the development and maintenance of company-wide accounting policies/whitepapers
- Lead the day-to-day coordination of external audit work
- Develop relationships and work closely with external auditors, business leaders and senior management to ensure communication of critical issues in a timely manner
- Responsible for identifying, benchmarking, and documenting accounting and disclosure-related matters
- Assist in reviewing revenue contracts to evaluate revenue recognition treatment and ensuring that revenue is accounted for in accordance with US GAAP
- Lead internal control documentation implementation and compliance process with respect to new accounting guidance implementation, and financial statement preparation
It Pays to Work Here
- An undergraduate degree in accounting, economics, finance or related field. An advanced graduate degree is a plus
- 8+ years of experience in Accounting and/or Audit
- 5+ years of experience leading reporting and technical accounting functions, preferably for an SEC registrant
- Big 4 audit firm experience
- CPA (or equivalent) required
- Experience with high-growth companies, ideally with online platform businesses
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills; ability to query large data sets desirable
We take a holistic approach to compensation at Gemini, which includes:
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.
- Competitive Compensation and Profit-Sharing Equity
- Flexible vacation policy
- Retirement Plan Matching
- Generous Parental leave
- Comprehensive health plans
- Training and professional development