Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a crypto exchange and custodian that allows customers to buy, sell, store, and earn more th...
Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a crypto exchange and custodian that allows customers to buy, sell, store, and earn more than 30 cryptocurrencies like bitcoin, bitcoin cash, ether, litecoin, and Zcash. Gemini is a New York trust company that is subject to the capital reserve requirements, cybersecurity requirements, and banking compliance standards set forth by the New York State Department of Financial Services and the New York Banking Law. Gemini was founded in 2014 by twin brothers Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss to empower the individual through crypto.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Crypto is not just a technology, it's a movement.
The Department: Financial Operations
The Financial Operations and Accounting Teams at Gemini are thought leaders in the digital asset accounting and reconciliation space. Our mandate is to bridge the traditional world of finance with the innovation of cryptocurrency products, providing our clients with a best-in-class financial institution experience.
The Role: Assistant Controller
Gemini is looking to hire an Assistant Controller for our headquarters office in New York City. Joining a rapidly growing and high quality, established digital asset exchange that is regulated by the New York State Department of Financial Services, this appointment will be central to our continued scaling as an organization.
- Provide leadership to strengthen the accounting team with a commitment to recruiting, training and mentoring of staff
- Lead the accounting team in implementing internal control procedures and identification of inefficiencies and implementation of process improvements
- Oversee the management of the monthly/quarterly/annual accounting close process
- Review monthly financial statements and trend analysis to ensure completeness and accuracy of results in accordance with GAAP and compliance to internal policies, ensure account balances are fully reconciled, and manage the preparation of financial results in a timely manner
- Manage and ensure accurate, timely and efficient processing of all transactions which include Bank Reconciliation, Journal Entries, Fixed Asset, Prepaid Expenses, Monthly Accruals, and all Balance Sheet and P&L account reconciliations and analysis
- Assist the Controller with interfacing with the Company's external auditors and coordination of quarterly and annual audits
- Expand the Corporate Accounting team to build and manage a procure to pay function; manage through change and evolve accrual accounting
- Assist in the implementation of new accounting standards and the accounting for non-standard transactions as needed
- Ability to flex into technical accounting areas including tax, equity and lease accounting working with Effectus as needed as a reliable level of review
- Liaise and participate in workflow design with Engineering, Sales, HR and other system administrators on processes, policies, systems and compliance
It Pays to Work Here
- CPA required (Active or Inactive)
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field required
- Public company experience required
- Excellent knowledge of GAAP
- 10+ years of progressive accounting experience; ideally, a public accounting/private industry mix
- Leadership skills to providing extensive support and guidance to the accounting team, proved ability in strengthened accounting process; hands on experience on establishing goals, negotiation, assigning tasks, coaching, issue identification and problem-solving
- Experience designing and implementing new policies and procedures
- Must be trustworthy and confidential
- Must have excellent communication skills and ability to present to senior management
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Proven ability to identify and drive process and system improvements
- Positive attitude and open mindset, not afraid to roll up your sleeves
- Team player, strong interpersonal skills including conscientiousness, diplomacy, flexibility, dependability, and, last but not least, a good sense of humor
We take a holistic approach to compensation at Gemini, which includes:
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.
- Competitive Compensation and Profit-Sharing Equity
- Flexible vacation policy
- Retirement Plan Matching
- Generous Parental leave
- Comprehensive health plans
- Training and professional development