Located in Arecibo, Puerto Rico, the Arecibo Observatory houses scientists and other professionals who contribute to advancements and resear...
Located in Arecibo, Puerto Rico, the Arecibo Observatory houses scientists and other professionals who contribute to advancements and research in Astronomy, Atmospheric, Planetary and other scientific fields.
Primary responsibilities for this position include:
- Lead implementation of data migration strategy for obsolescent storage media.
- Develop new software, incorporating the use of artificial intelligence and machine learning techniques to accelerate data processing and analysis. Perform all required testing and maintenance associated with tool.
- Create and maintain web-based tools for locating, retrieving and manipulating archival data.
- Independently develop/deploy updates to facility web pages.
- Implement new technology initiatives across the site, including data management, networking,
- Design, develop and implement database systems based on customer requirements. Optimize existing database systems for performance efficiency. Lead database design and architecture to support application development projects. Prepare design specifications, functional documentations and testing for assigned projects.
- Lead implementation of new software/systems at the facility. Create complex functions, scripts, stored procedures and triggers to support application development.
- Manage all aspects of the assigned projects, including development of structured project management plan, coordination with stakeholders, and monitoring of project performance.
Other duties as assigned.
The Arecibo Observatory, located near the town of Arecibo, Puerto Rico, is a world-class observational facility allowing for cutting-edge space research and education. The observatory hosts one of the world's largest and most powerful single-dish radio/radar telescopes, and gathers information about planets, moons, asteroids and comets. The Arecibo Observatory is currently operated and managed by University of Central
Florida in partnership with Universidad Ana G. Mendez (UAGM) and Yang Enterprises, Inc under a cooperative agreement with the National Science Foundation (NSF). To learn more about the Arecibo Observatory, visit Job Requirements:
Job #: 499909
Open Date: February 05, 2021
Closing Date: Open until filled
Annual Salary: $64,518 to Negotiable
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor's or Master's degree and 2+ years of relevant experience.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Systems / Software Engineering/Information Technology or related field.
- The preferred candidate will have 3-5 yrs. programming with high-level scripting languages in Linux/Unix environment, database and web programming, and programming cloud-based applications.
- Experience with Microsoft Azure Cloud System a plus.
- Project management experience a plus.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
- Solid knowledge of object-oriented programming and design.
- Experience with multithreading, real-time systems and socket programming.
- Interest/experience with Blockchain Technology.
Special Instructions: If you are selected as the final candidate for an employment opportunity here at UCF, both your position and salary will be significantly based upon the information that you have provided in your application for employment. We urge you to please take the time to complete the application in its entirety.
Please Note: Applicants MUST apply through . No paper applications, resumes, cover letters or emails will be accepted or considered for this position. Cover letters, resumes, and other documents can be attached through the website.
Your assistance with the University of Central Florida's Affirmative Action Plan implementation is appreciated. The University collects VOLUNTARY declarations of race and gender and uses the information to compile statistics on recruitment success. If you choose to assist, your demographic information will be used only for affirmative action.
The University of Central Florida is an equal opportunity, equal access, and affirmative action employer.